Thursday, November 29, 2012

Eye Follow-up and Hearing Test.

It's another crazy week in the Aprea household.  Definitely doesn't help that the night before I needed to take Ryan to 3 back to back appointments I came down with strep throat.  Worst. Timing. Ever.  So this morning, Dave had to rush to work to make sub plans and take the day off so he could go with the nurse to the appointments and I could go to my doctor for an antibiotic.  Now here I am, sitting all alone in a quiet house for the first time in, well, probably since I was on bed rest before Ryan was born.  Wait, no, I think it was when I had mastitis over the summer and Dave went to the NICU so I could sleep at home.  Yup, pretty sure that was it.  Sure would be nice to have a quiet day at home WITHOUT the medical reason!  Soon enough, and I really can't complain.  I love my full house. ;)

So, time to update.  We'll start with the good news:

Ryan went to follow-up with Dr. Reiser after the eye surgery.  She was very pleased with how things looked.  Dave took him to that appointment, so that's about the extend of the detail I got out of him.  ;)  We will get to stop one of the eye drops after a few more days, and then taper down the last one over the next 4 weeks or so.  We have an appointment with the contact lens guru next Friday in Arcadia, so hopefully she can get him set up with some contacts and it won't be too crazy for us to try to put them in!

Now the other news (never say bad, right?):

Ryan had his second hearing screen today since he failed in both ears the first time they tested him before discharge in the NICU.  Well, unfortunately, he failed in both ears again today.  It kinda breaks my heart a little that he can't hear me when I'm talking to him, reading him books, singing to him, etc.  But, I'm going to focus on the bright side.  He has yet to be awoken by a certain toddler sister who insists on running up to him while he's sleeping and shouting, "WAKE UP!!"  That's a good thing, right?  We're going to continue the prayers for a resolution to this.  He will have another test done in 2 weeks where they will place nodes on his head to test his brain's reaction to sound.  It's a 2.5 hour test and we're supposed to try to get him to sleep through it.  At 9:30am.  Should be interesting. :)

That's all I know so far as Dave is still with him at CHOC doing his developmental (physical) evaluation.  After that, he'll head over to Fountain Valley to meet with his GI doctor and set up a date to get the g-tube switched out for a Mic-key button.  Supposedly that will make feeding him through the tube even easier for us.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thank you for the continued prayers.  To make it easier, I'm going to end with a list.  I hope you don't mind.

Prayer requests:
- Lord, we are so thankful for all you have done for Ryan's eyes (along with everything else, of course).  We pray that his vision continues to improve and he regains sight so he can see all Your beautiful creations.
- We pray that You help the doctors figure out what's going on with his hearing and find a way to make him hear.
- Please protect everyone else, especially Ryan and Dani, from this nasty strep virus and help me to heal quickly.

Thank you all.

post signature

1 comment:

Holly Wilson said...

Jen, I just wanted to let you know that your family has touched me & my family. My husband & I cried with you this morning reading about Ryan's hearing tests. We pray for you regularly, and even my 3 year old asks me how "Baby Ryan" is doing. We are praying with you for Ryan. God has a reason for all that He does, even when we don't understand it. Thanks for allowing us to share in God's miracle.