Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Long Overdue Update...

...and this probably isn't what you're expecting or wanting to hear, but Ryan's back at CHOC for tonight.  It's such a random story, and since Dani is sleeping and I have a moment, I'll type it out.  Before I begin, I just want to explain that I haven't had the chance to update lately because we had a wonderful visit from Dave's sister and his family last week, and then this week is our Spring Break so we've been keeping busy doing fun little outings and quality family time.  I have tons to update on Ryan in general along with lots of picture to share from our escapades the past 1.5 weeks or so, but tonight I'll stick to what's going on today and if I'm up for it I'll do a catch up post right after.

So, here's what happened.  Last week we had our monthly pulmonary appointment/synagis shot.  During that check up I mentioned that Ryan was coughing more and acting more congested.  Dave had been sick a few days before, so we figured he caught that.  She said he did sound a bit crackly, but she didn't think RSV because the crackles were localized in his upper left lung and RSV would sound bad throughout.  His sats were fine and everything else seemed fine, so she gave us some little things we could keep doing at home and asked us to come in this week if he wasn't doing better.  It actually turned out that we had originally had that appointment scheduled for today, but when we rescheduled for last week they never cancelled this one, so she had us keep in on the books in case we needed to come back in.

Well, today came, and while he does sound a bit better as far as his congestion, he still does have that cough, and on top of that, he's been throwing up since Saturday.  Dani and Dave both had that nasty 24 hour stomach bug in the last 2 weeks, so we figured he got that because he was throwing up more than his usual reflux.  So, we figured we'd go to this appointment even though it was pulmonary because we talked to GI and they didn't have any openings until 2 weeks from now.  And it was one of those weird moments where all morning I remembered he had the appointment, then all of a sudden I looked at the clock and it was 1:48 and we had to be in Newport Beach by 2:15!  Dani was napping, but at that moment a loud truck revved by our house and woke her up.  So I have a frantically crying 2 year old, my son who has hardly kept any of his fluids down and needs to be dressed, and my husband and myself rushing around trying to grab everything we'll need for the appointment.  So, we get both kids in the car, Dani gets to watch a DVD to try to calm her down, and all of a sudden the breadmaker that I'm borrowing from my mom beeps because the dough is ready to be taken out to rise.  I completely forgot, and I can't just leave it there.  So I grab it and throw it on a cookie sheet and leave it in the back of the car hoping it will get hot enough in the car to get it to rise.  Thank God I did that rather than putting it in the oven because I had enough to worry about just leaving the crock pot dinner going!

We get to the appointment and we're actually only like 5 minutes late.  She checked him over and said his lungs actually sounded clearer, but she was concerned about him being dehydrated.  He had only had 2 wet diapers out of 4 so far that day, and they are typically all wet.  He was laying on me half asleep, his fontanelle was a bit sunken and it's usually bulging, and he had this strange rash popping up on his back...almost like a heat rash.  Oh, and his cheeks got super red.  It was like he was putting on a show for her because I swear when we were at home he was acting totally happy and fine other than not keeping his fluids down.  She felt like he should get to CHOC for some IV fluids and monitoring, so she called over for them to get a bed ready for him.

So Dave, Dani, Ryan and I, plus the rising loaf of bread, head over to CHOC.  We all went in (hooray for lifting the parents only restrictions...another sign this evil flu season is finally ending) and got him checked in.  Dave is staying the night with him (poor guy only has what he had on his back) and I brought Dani home to try to salvage our crock pot dinner that had been cooking for 11 hours and bake the bread that had been "rising" (more like hardening) in the back of my car for over 4 hours.  We're just thankful that the timing is perfect because we're on Spring Break and everything is handled and taken care of now.  We all have food in our bellies, Ryan has fluids in his body, and hopefully this will be the last little push he needs to get back on his feet again. 

Please pray that we can bring him home first thing in the morning.  We don't need this to turn into an extended stay by any means!  He's a fighter, and I know he'll do his part to get himself ready for check out.  Thank you all for your constant love and support, I will try to keep you updated as things progress at CHOC. 


post signature

No comments: