Thursday, March 7, 2013

Another Big Day Tomorrow.

It's amazing how some days you really notice the power of prayer and how God has His hands in all of this.  I know we've been asking for prayers a long time now, almost a year, but I just wanted to share with you the evidence we are seeing that the prayers are working. 

This morning, as we were getting Ryan ready for his physical therapy and feeding therapy appointments, I handed him his pacifier.  Actually, I didn't hand it to him, I put it a few inches from his face, and he reached out and grabbed it from me and popped it right into his mouth.  It's the little things that get us going around here, but honestly, this wasn't very little for a few reasons.  First of all, it was some serious hand/eye coordination.  And second of all, I just said "eye" coordination.  My man, WITHOUT his contacts in, reached out and grabbed his binky from my hand.  So yeah, he saw it.  Without the contacts. 

So, we decided to conduct a little "medical" experiment.  Don't worry, no babies were harmed in the process.  We decided to leave his contacts out and see if he acted any differently.  It's funny because we've lost his contacts before, so he's had these periods where he wasn't wearing them, and we did notice during those times that he still acted like he could see certain things, especially light.  But today was nuts.  I took him to his therapy appointments and I let both therapists know what we were doing, and they were intrigued as well.  Our PT, Noelle, started to notice little signs that he could see without his contacts as well.  Then, she held out the little binky with the Paci-Plushies monkey on it, and he locked his eyes right on it and grabbed it to pull it into his mouth.  She was amazed as we were that morning.  To further the intrigue, his ST/FT, Kerri, held out some green mardi gras beads a few inches in front of him when she found out he was sans contacts, and he reached out and grabbed for those, too!  Now, I've always believed in miracles.  Even more so after Ryan was born.  But I have been praying so hard for a miracle for our little guy's eyes and ears, and I'm REALLY hoping that this is just the beginning stage of an answer to all those prayers.  The human body is so perfectly made, and it's capable of so much.  God willing, Ryan is finally starting to figure out how those eyes of his work, and things continue to improve!

Since we are seeing so much progress in the eye department as far as miracles go, we're sending out this prayer request for tonight to help out in the hearing department.  Tomorrow Ryan will be sedated for his CT scan of his temporal lobe.  This scan will tell us what the anatomy of his ears looks like and will let us know what kind of damage (if any) we are looking at.  I've been doing lots of research on this, and I'm still holding onto hope for a miracle that maybe the hearing loss is just trapped fluid plus bad test results since he has oxygen flowing through his sinuses 24/7.  Obviously, I can rationalize away anything, but there's always hope, right?!  So, please pray if you are so inclined or send Ryan some good thoughts tomorrow that he tolerates being sedated, and that they get some really great images of some healthy miracle ears.  Or at least ears that can be helped with hearing aids or a cochlear implant.  It's been a while since I've been on pins and needles for a test, but this one is a pretty big deal. 

Thank you for the love and support, always.  And here's praying for more miracles!

post signature

No comments: